Lead glass skull measuring 4.5" tall, 3.5" wide and 5" deep.
Weighing almost 7 lbs.
Salvaged from the Hanford plutonium facilities in Washington about 20 years ago, the glass for this sculpture was originally used as part of the window through which scientists viewed the plutonium synthesizing process during the development of the world's fist atomic bomb in 1943. Two, 6" thick glass panes measuring 54”x36”, weighing 1500lbs and separated by a layer of oil were used as protective portholes, containing 70% lead, giving the glass the yellow color you see here and helping it to protect onlookers against radiation
Several of the full panels of glass from the site were sold during a government surplus auction in the late 1980s as part of the long (and continuing) decommissioning process of the facility. As such, this material is very hard to come by, with other similar sized shards selling for around $30,000-$50,000, and a full pane around $250,000. The Department of Energy has certified that this material is non-radioactive.